Health authorities recommend brushing twice a day and flossing once a day to remove soft plaque and debris that build up throughout the day. Sugar and acid feed the bacteria found in the mouth which can then lead to tooth decay. What daily brushing and flossing can’t do well is remove the hard buildup of minerals and bacteria found in your saliva known as calculus or tartar which cements itself to your teeth slowly over time. This can only be safely removed during professional teeth cleaning appointment.
If this hard buildup is left too long on the surface of your teeth, and under the gumline in the natural pocket between your teeth and gums, you may develop periodontitis. A condition three out of ten Australian adults are currently living with, often unknowingly. The result of not treating periodontitis, or active gum disease, is the loss of teeth. For the remainder of the population, the more common gum disease gingivitis will occur – the main reason for bleeding gums and bad breath.
Signs that you need professional teeth cleaning:
- You struggle to floss between your teeth.
- Your gums bleed when you brush or floss.
- Your breath smells.
- You get a bad taste.
- You can visibly see yellow-black buildup around your teeth.
- Stained teeth.
- Sensitive or painful gums.
- You have lost teeth in the past due to gum disease.
- Your last professional teeth cleaning was over six months ago.
- You have a family history of gum disease.
- You have a medical condition that could be lead to an increased susceptibility to periodontitis.